Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Leave The Past In The Past







SimpleReminders.com
"To get over the past, you first have to accept that the past is over. No matter how many times you revisit it, analyze it, regret it, or sweat it…it’s over. It can hurt you no more."— Mandy Hale
Our new book: www.SimpleReminders.info




Another book written to make money for the author with no relevance. It is another of the million ways the survivor is told to just get over it – leave the past in the past. This point of view admonishes the survivor while promoting and comforting the perpetrator.
I will process. I will integrate. I will become whole. I will heal. The past will never be over. It will never be over for my perpetrators in this life. Forgiveness is contra indicated for healing. There is no place they can run to, no place they can hide, as I pay their debt for them.
You would not believe the internal process I had to go through this morning. The process of remembering and connecting the memory to the abuse.

I had to feel a tactile memory – by definition from the past -- with no other connections to other constructs, images, emotions, thoughts, sensory memories. In constructivism as opposed to the failed cognitive theory memories can be repressed via submerging the connections and constructs to the subconscious level while one or a few constructs are left in consciousness with no connections to make sense or form a story from. So, a tactile memory emerging from the subconscious with no other connecters or constructs can drive a person, particularly if the memory is traumatic -- off the chart intensity and duration (chronic) unable to be  processed in real time and without assistance.

So there it was a memory coming to consciousness, a flashback of a tactile construct off the chart in intensity and duration with no connectors to other constructs.  I had to consciously identify it as a tactile memory, connect it to the other emotional memories of being sexually abused by my mother, and also the thought and image constructs or memories of the same events. These events were the one on one sexual abuse of me by my mother when I was aged 4 to 9. I was able to make the connections between the traumatic tactile feelings and the thoughts emotions and images of the sexual abuse by my mother and observe them from a state of compassion for self. I’d rather have chewed on broken glass. To re-experience this tactile stimulation via memory – flashback -- usually leads to reenactment of the abuse which is a behavior that is therapeutic, but is also destructive of self.   . Re-enactment is an attempt to understand the abuse on the one hand, but also an attempt to gain my mother’s approval and thus a sense of self
What did I have to do to heal myself and avoid re-enactment of the abuse? Extend to myself compassion, the same compassion I freely lavish on others, but have difficulty extending to myself. 




The process of remembering and healing that I experienced today and last week was facilitated through compassionate observation. By observing my woundednes, and the judgment of self that lead to its emergence, I was able to go through the process of making/uncovering the connections between the constructs of tactile memories, emotional memories, thought memories, image memories, and other sensory memories.  I was able to heal woundedness a little bit without it taking the focus and entering into self-destructive behavior. Woundedness has one goal to reenact the tactile stimulation. The goals of re-enactment are to understand the abuse, and to seek self-worth through pleasing my mother as if I were still the 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 year old child who originally experienced her abuse.
I had just gone through this process for the third time in two weeks, when I came upon this inane and discountive post.

When will the cognitive theory be seen for what it is, a failed theory based on an inaccurate model of the human mind that chauvinistically attempts to set thought over emotions and thus repress those emotions.   Leaving the past in the past is a cognitive process that is a method of repression – a pushing away. Repression is mental illness not mental health.


“Recovery from childhood trauma involves owning the experiences we have disowned. It includes owning parts of ourselves that we continue to want to push away. This is a painful process because it means that we will need to embrace painful realities. Everything in us (and often around us) tells us that this is not the right path to take. But it is always truth, no matter how painful, that frees us. Embracing our life experiences and their ongoing impact on us is the path to freedom and wholeness.” – Juanita Ryan

Copyright FredCelio2014





No comments:

Post a Comment